Reducing plastic pollution isn't the only reason to refuse bottled water, but it's a good one. Today is World Water Day 2013. And a number of groups in Canada organized the 2013 Bottled Water Free Day on March 18. So if you haven't stopped drinking bottled water yet, now's a good time.
Support campaigns against bottled water, stand up for the safety of our fresh water resources and public drinking water systems, and tell others why you won't buy bottled water!
Here are a few links to resources and sites where you can find bottled water facts, as well as information about campaigns to support and actions to take on this issue:
- Back the Tap, the coalition that organizes Bottled Water Free Day.
- Inside the Bottle, a campaign organized by the Polaris Institute.
- The Toxic Footprint of PET-bottled Water in British Columbia, a 2009 report by Toxic Free Canada.
- Ban the Bottle, a US-based organization, whose website has lots of information and links to up-to-date articles and campaign information.
- The Story of Bottled Water, a great documentary by the Story of Stuff's Annie Leonard.
- Blue Gold: World Water Wars, a book and a film.
- Bottled Water vs. Tap Water: Rethink What You Drink, a health article from Reader's Digest.